Monday, June 4, 2012

Jetson is 1!!!! and sick...

Wednesday evening of last week, I noticed Jetson felt a little warm. I am a cold-natured person, so people are often warmer than me and I tend to think my kids may have a low-grade fever when others touch them and disagree, so I brushed it off as one of those times. When Eric got home that night, he was putting Jetson to bed and made the remark that he felt a little warm. I told him I had thought so to, but didn't know for sure.

Thursday morning when he woke up, he still felt warm and I couldn't find a thermometer, so I walked down to my brother's house to check his temperature. Using their borrowed thermometer, I found out he had a 101 point something. Not being terribly alarmed and just blaming it on teething, I went back home and put him down for a nap. Throughout the day I kept a check on his temperature and that night it reached 103.4. When Eric got home from work, we gave him a bath and some tylenol to help bring it down and then gave Jet a blessing, but were still basically blaming it on teething since there were no other symptoms of anything else (the thought of Roseola crossed my mind, since Betsy had it shortly after she turned 1, but the only way to diagnose it is to wait for the tell-tale rash to appear).

Poor sick little guy.
Friday morning he woke up with no fever, but by afternoon it was back up to 101. By evening, it was back up to 102.7 and I handed him off to Eric with instructions to watch it and keep giving him tylenol/motrin since I had a Girls Night Out planned. During the Girls Night Out, one mom shared a story of her son, who was sick, but she kept brushing it off thinking let it run it's course and he will get better, until the son asked to go the dr and the doctor had to admit him to the hospital.

Saturday morning (Jetson's Birthday) when Jet woke up with 102.5, I started thinking about the mom's story and wondering if I was being too nonchalant about this. So I called Eric at work and discussed it and he told me to call an urgent care clinic and see what they said/if we should bring him in. I called and the clinic told me I needed to take him to the E.R. This sent my emotions into a tailspin and I called Eric to come get us (we only have one car). I didn't think a trip to the E.R. was necessary (especially for our bank account), but still afraid after hearing the story the night before, we decided better safe than sorry. The E.R. looked at him and couldn't find anything wrong (since I had given him tylenol that morning, he didn't even have a temperature), except that one of his ears was a little red, so they wrote a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us home with instructions to keep him on the tylenol/motrin. Eric had to go back to work and I spent the afternoon trying to console Jet. When Eric got home at 5pm we tried to celebrate a little, but Jetson was just too sick and not up to it, so we decided to put it off a day.
entertainment while waiting in the E.R.
Poor guy tuckered out.

attempted celebration.

Sunday we went to church and his fever seemed to be gone. After church the kids napped and we got everything ready for a little party for Jet. My brother's family came down for cake and presents and Jetson tolerated it ok, but was still under the weather. After making a MESS with the cake, we gave him a quick bath and then had my brother give him his first haircut. Jetson's hair had been driving my brother crazy for weeks, but I insisted we wait for his birthday to cut it. So I finally let Josh have the clippers and hoped for the best! Even sick, Jetson was awesome and held completely still while Josh cut his hair! After the haircut we opened presents and everyone went home.

not really in the mood to party, but we did anyway.
messy boy. We couldn't get him to eat much that day, but cake he ate!
finished product.
Shortly after everyone was gone, I noticed a rash breaking out on Jetson's face... So we debated whether this was the Roseola manifesting itself or an allergic reaction to the antibiotic the hospital had put him on. I had already scheduled Jetson a doctor's appointment for Monday morning for his 1 year check up and immunizations, so we decided we would just wait and have the doctor look at it the next day.

This morning I called the doctor's office to let them know we wouldn't be getting immunizations, but needed to have a rash looked at. We get to the doctor and tell him the story of our weekend. He looked at the rash on Jetson's head and said it looked more like an allergic reaction than Roseola. He checked his ears and said they looked fine, but that his throat looked a little red and said he was going to switch the antibiotic to be safe. Then he checked his stomach and saw the rash there and said that did look like Roseola, so maybe that is what he has, so to keep giving him tylenol/motrin for pain and discomfort and give him benedryl for any itching (Jetson keeps rubbing his head like crazy). So after all this, ALL I know is I have a sick, irritable little baby, A LOT of medical bills coming my way, and a lot of medicine to give a little boy for "just in case" and I am exhausted! :(  BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAY JETSON!
taking steps

No comments: