Monday, April 30, 2012

Hairy Business

See, I told you I would try to get better at this stuff. :)
Friday I kept my brother's two youngest kids all day so they could have a day out. Betsy was thrilled to have Londyn (4) over to play, but Jetson on the other hand wasn't so crazy about the other kid who came... Jaxin (1) is exactly one year older than Jetson and is HUGE into balls. He will throw a ball with you ALL DAY and has quite the arm. Unfortunately for Jetson, Jaxin is also pretty obsessed with him and tried "playing catch" with him all day... This resulted in many balls to the head for Jetson and a headache for both of us. :)
Friday night, I traded Jaxin for Andrew and Johanna's little girl Lauren (3) and the three amiga cousins had a sleepover! It was so cute!



Saturday morning we all met for a big breakfast at Josh's house and then all headed to a birthday party for a little boy from our playgroup. It was at a close by park and was full of all our friends and the kids had a blast! (On a downside, I wore white pants to a birthday party, and JUST as we were getting ready to go I sat down to help Betsy put her shoes on, and sure enough sat in dark blue icing... it was great). So after stopping back by the house to change clothes, we proceeded to run our errands for the day.
For awhile I've been talking to Eric about taking Betsy to get her hair cut. I've trimmed it a couple of times, but I REALLY have no idea what I am doing and am afraid to do too much. After the afternoon at the hot, sweaty park Betsy's curly hair was falling and looking quite mulletesque (yes, I made up a word.) So I finally talked Eric into just doing it that day. Which was perfect because he was off work and with us. I knew I would never take her by myself, because apart from not being crazy enough to take a child to her first haircut alone with a baby, I was pretty sure there would be some translation issues. So I got Eric to agree to go sit in the salon and take part, and it is a good thing I did... because that lady had no idea what I was talking about! So after her trying in broken English to repeat back to me what she thought I wanted, I finally got Eric to understand my signal to come get involved (I think he takes pleasure in watching me stumble through conversations). So then Eric tried to explain what I wanted, but his Spanish in hair terms is pretty limited, so we just crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

Betsy sat absolutely, perfectly still and was AWESOME. I really didn't know what to expect since the only nap she had gotten that day was in the car between stores and when she chooses to be, she can be quite a pill. So I was thrilled at how well she did! (She also saw a girl walking around with an ice cream cone on our way in and finagled a deal with her daddy for an ice cream if she was good. I'm not sure how much this deal played into the behavior). While the results weren't exactly what I was hoping for, they were MUCH better than what we started with, so I am pleased.
The first is how it looked before if it was fixed, but it inevitably always ended up like the second (a frizzy mullet). The bottom one is the after: MUCH better and no more possibility of a mullet! 

On the way home, we grabbed the promised ice cream and then decided to top the day off with running through the sprinkler.

I. LOVE. WEEKENDS. LIKE. THIS.

No comments: